Sunday, March 18, 2007

There is something about yellow, but it's not mellow.


These are the daffodils I rescued from the wintery mix, they were brittle with crystal clear ice and looked festively candied. I love those kind words, wintery mix, for what I grew up calling sleet. I see snowflakes and holly leaves and mittens and marshmallows and candy canes swirling down from the sky in a wintery mix. Sleet is just that, cold and wet. And it always finds that little gap between where your hat ends and your collar begins.

These daffodils fueled my current lust for yellow, the quest is not over. I played my own version of "I'm thinking of a color" this morning and quickly found lots of yellow! In the kitchen, dining room and living room alone I found cupcakes, butter, lemons a rose finial on a sugar bowl, last nights tablecloth and a chair! Wait a minute...I have an aversion to yellow. I don't look good in it, it does not soothe my soul and I was told never, never bring a newborn home in yellow. That pretty much takes care of yellow for me. So why now do I have this insatiable craving for...yellow? I think the answer is really quite simple: Spring arrives in three days and to me, Spring is...yellow.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I haven't played "I'm thinking of a color" in so long!! Can we play next time I'm home?? So envious of your daffys...mine are only 3-4" stubs poking out of iced-over dirt. xoxo

Post a Comment

Archive