The remains of a day
House crush. We wiggled things around all day. Books, tins, lamps...even the piano.
"We need you to fall in love with your house again." Fred's words to me. Not likely, I thought. Especially after we looked (or drooled, in my case) at very important magazines filled with homes of very famous people designed by famous Fred!
With lightning speed Fred came up with three plans. The first one has to wait until I win the lottery. Since I don't buy tickets that's going to be a while. Plan B, I can actually see happening...in time. Maybe the pair of zebra rugs will be a little tricky to slip by my oriental rug kind of a guy husband, but I'm willing to try. Plan C is already being implemented: Height, abundance and whimsy. I can do that.
Fred showed me silly comes naturally to me. Candlesticks don't have to stand at attention. But there are rules. Window treatments start at the ceiling. Paint colors don't change at outside corners. The sideboard is centered on the dining table. Rules are good they balance the sillies and it's all about balance.
The place needs a few pieces of modern art. A large SQUARE modern painting over the sideboard. Flashback! An assignment a lifetime ago. One square modern painting. I stretched my square canvas and tried over and over. That canvas is in my daughter's house. Cherry blossoms, green grass and forsythia. A square canvas makes for a very awkward landscape.
I think I can do it now. My easel needs a good dusting. First, I have to find it. I know I can do it, I'm in love again.



No comments:
Post a Comment