Make no mistake about it....
That ribbon is Blue, as in First Place blue. See the blue peeking out under the yellow tag?
Some time during the day, probably while the mixer was whirling up twelve dozen babycakes my bloom'in wellies were "pinned". I hadn't heard a sound, more amazingly the DOG hadn't heard a sound. I didn't know if the garden club even did ribbons anymore...but lets just say I am glad they do!
No sooner had I swept the front steps and parked the boots out there that I had a little visitor. Joy and her mom had just taken her three older brothers to school, she was quiet and shy but wanted to get a closer look at the pink boots. I wanted to give her something and all I had readily available was a fresh stock pile of violet honey butter. She looked a little puzzled, but loved having something to carry away. Joy, a child well named I'd say with three big brothers off at school! The amazing thing is, younger baby brother was finishing a morning snooze.
That all made me pause...how early does someone have to get up to be finishing a morning nap at 8:30 A.M.? Oh, now I remember, really, really, early. By the way, the Mom looked fantastic and was deliriously happy with her brood. I don't blame her!
Something though in the whole chain of events made me feel a little old, a little out of touch. Was it not hearing someone on my stoop? Handing out violet butter? Thats got old lady written all over it! I think it was not being able to guess, in my mind, exactly how old Joy is. There was a day I could have told you her age, her dress size and how many teeth were in that mouth. Things I thought I would never forget, young mothers can size a kid up in a heart beat.
Oh well, as a young garden clubbing mom I never would have pulled off a boot caper. My basket would have been regulation woven. So you loose a little, you loosen up a lot! It's not all gone, after all, it is a _ _ _ _ Ribbon. Written on the yellow tag is "most original and pretty too." I would have loved that under my year book picture.



1 comment:
"most original and pretty too." that should be your byline!!
Post a Comment