Lunch for one.
Saturday lunches are special.
Everyone around here brown bags it on week days. Well, I don't, since my work is here. But none the less brown bag fare, cold cuts, tuna salad, egg salad, PB & J, any leftover between bread is just not up to snuff for Saturdays.
Hamburgers, BLT's, cobb salad, ham biscuits and cucumber soup all say it's Saturday and it's lunch time.
We visited my parents often early in our marriage and this is how lunch went on Saturdays in Connecticut. Ice cold beer? A glass of wine? Sure! And food. Food that was festive and lots of faces around the table. My husband still talks about it! How my Dad would offer him a beer FOR LUNCH!! No dessert though, not at lunch time. Beer, wine, a burger, maybe chili or a thick turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce, nice.
Then we had kids. Saturday lunch was crammed between lacrosse, field hockey, regattas, ballet.........piano and scout activities. Summer lunches, often mid-morning, were hot dogs. That is if you could get a dog for yourself between making and selling them at swim meets. Maybe you had iced tea to drink.
One thing about kids is, if you're lucky, once you have them you'll always have them. But they go. So you get to develop a new-old routine, Saturday lunches are special.
I ate lunch alone today. I missed having my usual companion, but as you can see, I made the best of it. That is a yummy crab cake. My lovely drink is a Pama spritzer with lime. I am still trying to figure out why my daughter dubbed this drink a pick me up, after that lunch I had to lay me down. Yes! I ate that whole hot pepper, just like it was a pickle. Wish you were here.



1 comment:
Lovely picutes and words. I'm getting to look forward to our longer weekends together. And so I missyou now - keep safe
LUV Husbunda
Post a Comment