Monday, October 1, 2007

I'll Follow the Sun


That was the theme of my day: Following the sun.

If I can delay going outside for my shower 'til ten o'clock I am showered with sunbeams.

If I get the wash on the line by nine or so the towels can have the few extra sunny hours they need.

If I get bread rising by noon I can start it in the sun on the side steps, move it to the picnic table mid afternoon, give it another hour by the kitchen gate, voila! It's ready to bake for dinner.

If I need a pretty picture, the sunlight in the kitchen is lovely around four.

If I am looking like a pioneer woman to you, look again. I am really a domestic dork. I could have bee listening to any number of sun inspired songs:

Good Day Sunshine
Sunshine Superman
Sunshine on my Shoulders
Sunshine on my Mind
Mellow Yellow
Sunny
In the Sunshine of Your Love
Sunshine came Softly
Sunny Afternoon
Ice in the Sun
Silent Sunlight
The House of the Rising Sun
You are My Sunshine

and on and on...but no, I wasn't doing that, I was singing and yodeling along with the original broadway cast of the Sound of Music, an album my grandfather bought for me after I saw the play when I was seven.

I was in love with it then and I am just as in love with it now. My family does not share my feelings. So this is why, when alone, going about my sun following business I gleefully crank it up, sing along with an occasional jump for joy. Following my dream. I told you, Domestic Dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive