Thursday, January 3, 2008

The icing on the cake.


When my daughter arrived home December 23rd it might as well have been Christmas. In came her cheer, presents, homemade salt caramels, torrone, gingerbread men, biscotti and a ham!

Better than all that was her boundless energy and a pair of young arms! I was still working on filling Christmas Babycakes orders. I had not wrapped one present or made one treat that wasn't headed out the door.

No matter. December 24th with my more capable than me assistant we got it all done.

Three kinds of muffins, parmesan sables, shortbread lollipops, coffee cakes, tiny cupcakes, savory coeur a la creme, cheese fondue, crystal clear Christmas candy brittle and the chocolate layers for THE CAKE.

The all I want for Christmas cake.

The only thing she asked for, for Christmas, cake.

The thing I didn't get to. (there were a few other things as well)

I had to look her straight in the eye and say, you are going to have to make your own present, THE CAKE.

She took it in that long stride of hers and whipped up edible sweet dreams. Visions of sugarplums doesn't come close! Layers of chocolate brownie cake, swirls of perfectly pink mint ice cream topped with crystal clear marshmallow, silver dragee, red hot, raspberry gummie, smashed Christmas candy brittle. A show stopper.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care and Mom had no peppermint extract...anywhere. Undaunted and still smiling she called her friend to the rescue, when you come tomorrow bring the peppermint extract!

Morning arrived and once again we were all wrapped up in the magic that only Christmas brings.

Later in the day, dashing to meet the "Peppermint Extract Express" my daughter said, I wish I had a bouquet. Looking back, we could have gathered some pine, holly and magnolia and made one. One should never deny the urge to present a bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive