I have extremely strong opinions--just ask my daughter.
This darling, precious, irresistible and oh so cute little piece of luggage NEVER should have been lonely, gathering dust in an "antique shop".
I guess if you define an antique as fifty years or older it is, in fact, an antique.
I am dating the cheerful little girl on the front of the travel case as a little girl from the fifties. And because I am one, I know one when I see one!
Her little suit, the bob with bangs, her gloves, anklets and to die for matched set of red luggage. All a product of the happy 1950's.
Little Miss Traveler. Not Little Ms.Traveler. Nope. This little girl is not going to wield her way through Europe slinging a backpack. She is traveling, with her Grandmother, I am sure, and with the help of many Red Caps and Porters along the way. All the while, in sheer delight but taking things quite in stride. Many thank yous, I hear many "thank yous" along the way.
She is going to London and Paris, Venice, Naples, Athens and Berne.
She will ride the train country to country and have tea, (after visiting the museums) in each city.
Her red luggage will be properly stowed, but her Little Miss Traveler case stays with her.
Her life, and all that she thinks she needs to travel the world is tucked inside.
Her slinky, ever entertaining, walks up and down stairs and makes that great slinking sound when passed from hand to hand. That is, until it really starts to make Grandmother twitch, then it gets put back in the case.
Quietly she can play with a stuffed triangle doll she made herself. The only "moving" parts are his pipe cleaner legs, but they can silently be bent into hilarious poses.
The ball, that can bounce to the sky can be held and admired. It does look a lot like the world being traveled. But one bounce could topple a tea cart and Grandmother would not be pleased.
To practice for the many teas, our little girl has packed a miniature tea cup and sugar bowl. While watching the world go by out the parlor car window her pinky is held high as she takes tiny sips.
Lets see, there is a folding comb and tiny hand mirror, but of course.
Now the teeny baby and bathtub, two marbles and doll house hassock have a story. She loved the idea of this adventure, but was so sad to leave her baby brother at home she brought the baby and the tub to imagine she was helping her mother bathe the the baby. One marble works great for the babies ball and the other one sinks into the tuft of the hassock. Kind of like a googily eye game. Now there's some good quiet fun.
The itsy bitsy red Bible she won at a carnival in one of those games where you put in a dime and maneuver a crane to pick a prize.
Out came the red Bible and it has been treasured ever since.
The jacks, oh my gosh, the jacks. They don't make 'em like this anymore, nor do they sell 'em for a dime. As a travel toy the jacks are pretty useless. For two reasons. Jacks are usually played in twos. Grandmother really isn't nimble enough for jacks. A girl does like a little competition. And never in a million years would she permit our little traveler to sit on the floor!
So there you have it, the heart and soul of a little girl in one precious little carry on.
There is one thing about Little Miss Traveler I have not mentioned. One more thing that drew me to her. For that, you will have to ask my daughter, she will know.
For now, you must agree, the only reason this little piece of luggage and its treasures within ever should have wound up, in really, what amounts to a junk shop, was so that I could buy it. And I could give it, piece by piece the love and recognition it deserves.



1 comment:
hey kathe. just thought i'd pop by and say hi! Little Miss Traveler is adorable!
Post a Comment