Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dismantling Christmas but still guilding that lily.


Most people don't even want to see a fruitcake coming their way before Christmas and here mine is, seven days late.

Better late than never really does apply here oh ye of little fruitcake love.

My daughter and I made these the first week of December, they have been napping ever since...swaddled in cheesecloth and doused with rum.

Today was the day, Wake Up Little Fruitcake! It is your hour to shine.

Chocolate is the main ingredient here, giving this little darling a distinct advantage over any of her cousins. She is chock full of pecans, walnuts, almonds and organic dried fruit. Figs, cherries, pineapple, dates, plums ( I know, I know, a dried plum is a prune). To be sure she contained NONE of the dreaded glaceed fruit that has given fruitcake a bad rap for centuries, even her bits of lemon peel are freshly candied.

Now I know that is more than enough goodness for one little fruitcake-but hold the line. The baker, that would be me, was just inspired to take it to a new level. A thick layer of dark chocolate was poured over her and then layered and studded with more of the goodies that were baked in. A few minutes later she was set and ready to go out the door, making a very appropriate New Years debut.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful!! We are still totally loving and proudly serving out fruit cakes... But tell me... What is that plate I see peeking out from under the Christmas china???

Post a Comment

Archive