Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Daisy Kramer 1996 - 2009


Yesterday I took Daisy out for a walk. We went out the front and down Monterey Avenue, left on Shiley, left on Melvin. As we approached Claude Street Daisy pulled to the right to cross Melvin. The girl knows where her fella lives. We got down to 'Ol Shep's house, she sniffed and sniffed but O.S. wasn't outside. Daisy stood looking at his empty bed on the stoop and cried. We stood around for a few minutes hoping O.S. would make an appearance. No luck, Daisy's long walk was in vain, we headed for home.

Today I decided to do a quick walk by Shep's on my own to save Daisy the heartache if Shep was not outside. By the time I got my sneakers, jacket and gloves on Daisy was prancing with anticipation. So WE headed out, straight to Shep's. I talked to her the whole walk down, telling her not to be disappointed again if we missed him. He might be inside again.

We got to his yard, no Shep. His fluffy white bed was on the porch empty again. The matted thicket to the right of the door was empty as well. As I started to promise Daisy we would come back later she tugged and whimpered. There was a rustling behind the shrubs to the left of the door. Slowly 'Ol Shep rose, covered with brush and wobbled over to greet Daisy.

Daisy and Shep had a good five minutes in the sun, visiting. They are so loving and respectful of each other. They nuzzle their nozzles. Daisy lets me pet him without her usual protectiveness, it is just sweet.

This is a love story of Daisy and Shep, but as I write I see it is a love story of Daisy and me as well.

**********************************************************************************
The text above was written late winter in an email to my husband and children.
Daisy belonged to my son, he brought her home at the age of 14 in his shirt pocket, she died, June 2, 2009.
Although Daisy belonged to Chris, she adored each of us in her very special way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive