35 1/2 Years
In April of 1974 I bid my horse farewell.
I left my saddle, her bridle, bit, and so much more by her stall gate that day.
I packed away my boots and hard hat. Her red and white plaid blanket has kept each of cozy over the years. I wear the scarf my father gave me with it's dizzying pattern of dressage horses. A horse charm jingles on my bracelet. I make day trips to Potomac, past the fields I rode, browse The Surrey and smell the smells only a really uppity tack shop has.
Portraits of my horse hold places of honor in our house, reminding me there is a wide open world out there. Exhilarating moments full of unspoken love and trust.
I am riding this weekend. My daughter and I are going away for the weekend, to ride together. Fall is the loveliest time to ride. Crisp air, frisky horses and visions of many more rides to come. I think it might be possible to make up for thirty-five years in one weekend.
Appalachian Spring
Sugar Snap
Glissando
Revelry
Sunny Disposition
Feminine Wiles
Melissa's Penchant
Giselle
Ticket To Ride
Philly's Folly
Snowflake
Charming Gentleman
Money Talks
Etiquette
Key To Happiness
Assoluta
Fancy Free
Moon River
Picture an old barn, nine stalls on each side...I am!!



1 comment:
I can't wait!!!! You'll have to bear with my awkward canter, though. I want a horse named Glissando, please.
Post a Comment