Saturday, October 17, 2009

Way cool fun.


This is a first for me people. Those lovely little squares of paper you see stacked and waiting are edible rice paper. Aka labels for champagne bottles.
Lest you think I have fallen down a rabbit hole, let me explain.
I have 56 bottles of champagne in my freezer. (I wish!)
Actually, they are huge buck naked shortbread cookies, in the shape of champagne bottles. They are waiting to be iced, corked and labeled by me, so fun!
Great favors for a rehearsal dinner, no? Custom labels, the couple, date, champagne brand, this is cleverness.
So this morning I have been cutting the labels, just like I would any other piece of paper, trimming, measuring, stacking, admiring. I am a titch nervous about the next step, the actual writing. But I have edible ink markers and edible gold dust. If they fail me, I have my familiar narrow brushes, food coloring and vodka. Apparently when you mix vodka in with the gold dust, it becomes a paintable liquid. I get that, I think I have even experienced it! I do love a backup plan.
OK, reward time here. Labels are and tested, plan is in place. I am heading out on a little antiquing excursion. I need a "new, old" glass for my bathroom. The season has changed, and the swanky swig with the sailboats is grating on my last nerve. What self respecting New Englander would have a glass in the bathroom with sailboats on it in October? Not me. I know, HWK, there are a gazillion OTHER glasses in the house. It's the little things, and a reason to get out on the third straight day of rain.
Yesterdays "carrot" was heading out, at the end of my work day to rent season one of Mad Men, had to see what all the hullabalu was about. You would THINK with all the vintage clothing I drool over on eBay, many with the words "so very Mad Men" in their description a light would have gone off somewhere. Nope. So I watched half of season one last night, and loved having my penchant for nail polish, wiggle dresses and vodka validated. More later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vanessa said...

hey kathe, so good to hear from you! thanks for stopping by my blog. so i'm totally impressed with your champagne gifts. great idea. i can't wait to see how they turn out!

sorry for the deleted comment :(

Post a Comment

Archive