Sometimes...
A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do, just to get through.
We have at least thirty inches of snow here people! Drifts of five feet, icicles that could take out a woolly mammoth and our street has not been plowed since it all began six days ago. The wind is howling as I type, who could even know if it is actually still snowing?
I love snow, so I am pretty darn happy just looking outside. Yesterday I delivered a Babycakes order on foot. If only I had a horse handy I could be like my first riding teacher who had an early morning muffin run...on horseback.
I made chocolate chip cookies, spaghetti sauce, French onion soup, vinaigrette and dough for another thousand shortbread hearts. Beware of customers wanting their hearts on the early side, they eat them all up and then want more. Yep, a grandmother ate BOTH bags of cookies I delivered (on foot!) yesterday she planned to give her grandsons on Sunday. We laughed and blamed the snow, and I was glad I had more butter.
Because I miss my kids in the snow, our dog, who loved to frolic in the snow, because someone has been home from work ALL six days and since I work at home it isn't ME, because it was too windy to light the fire and all this white really makes one's head feel like it is filled with cotton, I broke down.
I made myself a big steaming mug of chai latte, I whipped cream for the top, grated nutmeg and brought out the rainbow sugar. The rainbow sugar my good friend imported from England, a lifetime ago.
If I have this right, my friend got the last rainbow sugar exported from England to this country. And she got an entire barrel of it. My supply is running dangerously low, and hers might be gone entirely because she is that sort of friend. The sort who fills a huge antique apothecary jar with rainbow sugar ties it with a big bow and happily says, for you. Even if it is the last rainbow sugar we might ever see! Rainbow sugar, sorts the ladies from the girls, it does.
If you are wondering about the break down and how I strayed I will tell you. I only EVER drink chai latte with my daughter or my daughter in law, both at the same time would be most perfect. And since neither lives within two hours of me I do not drink chai latte often. It is a special thing I do with THEM. Until today. I was a little lonely, a lot snowbrained, a bit at loose ends. I sat in the living room drank my tea, and then soaked in a deep tub (hot too) in the afternoon! When the time came, husband and I sat cozily with our French onion soup, marveled at the snow for the millionth time and all was well.



1 comment:
that looks amazing. i can't imagine that much snow, yikes! thank goodness for your rainbow sugar!
Post a Comment