I have an Elizabeth.
I have said those words here before and am optimistic I will again and again. It has such a nice ring to it, I have an Elizabeth. Certainly, had I been gifted the six daughters I always imagined, I would have had an Elizabeth somewhere in the flurry.
No matter, this version of Elizabeth with the blondest hair and the bluest eyes and loving spirit shares herself so well. She pays attention to little, important things, like shortbread is my favorite treat above all others.
Today, I did what we do when time is short or my knee is hurting or busyness deprives us of a proper visit. A drive by. I drive to their charming street and rather than chance the parking, (lack of) I call them from my car, I am rounding the corner now.
Down bounds my son, we have a quick Hi Bye Kiss Pass Off and I come home, supposedly to get to work.I am the QUEEN of finding something better to do. I put off, regroup till I am beyond together, till the clock tells me, it's now or never. I am not procrastinating at the moment, I am savoring.
Savoring flavor, savoring thoughtfulness and being connected on a busy day.
Elizabeth had wrapped what my son referred to as a big sugar cookie for him to give me while executing the drive by. I was excited enough about a huge sugar cookie, but this was more!
This was, according to me, my very own personal shortbread. The whole thing. Pressed out with her hands, pricked and scored. And golden brown around the edges. Just the way I love it. I unwrapped, admired and took a huge bite out of the brownest edge, paying no attention to the score marks.
I mean it, this is MINE! Saltiness? Check. Buttery? Oh yes. Thick enough to sink a tooth in? Mmmmm. That did it (for now) one perfect bite. I wrapped it up and will probably do the same thing all over again in an hour. But now, to find a hiding spot.
I always knew the name Elizabeth Kramer would have a lovely ring to it, I just didn't know she would be so dazzling.


No comments:
Post a Comment