My Mother used to say...
Years ago my Mother would come to visit and forget a book, or her toothbrush, a bottle of perfume or a hanky I would call to let her know what I had found. She always responded, "You know, when a guest leaves something behind their heart is telling them they want to return."
I believe that is true, but I think there is more to it. Twice now, having visited my daughter and her husband (aka The Bride and Groom) I have left my favorite lipstick on her dressing table. My daughter and I even shared a laugh this past visit when she found it and could not help but notice I wear my lipstick down in a completely different manner than she.
This is not a lipstick I can not run out and replace. This one, the palest nude-pink shade was last October's Estee Lauder's pink ribbon lipstick. So I am thinking this goes beyond wanting to visit again. This is me missing my daughter and wanting to be with her. I would go so far as to say this is my way of being with her from afar. A lot of me is there in many forms, books, dishes, linens, all incorporated in two young lives and made their own with their own lovely style.
A lipstick says kiss to me.


1 comment:
Oh no! I am sorry you are missing this lipstick so much, I should have put it in the mail to you right away. I can do so tomorrow! (Don't worry, I get your post, I'm just sorry I hadn't thought to actually *return* the lipstick, so easy as it would be to do!)
Post a Comment