Letting the ink dry.
If you have never used a Rapidograph pen you don't know the troubles I've known. They have changed very little since I bought my first one in 1966. Except of course for the price. They are excruciatingly finicky; draw too fast and the pen skips, too slow, it tends to blob, the point is so sharp it will rip cotton paper and/or draw blood. (NPI)
Heaven forbid it doesn't get exercised on a daily basis, trying to get that ink to flow would try the patience of a Saint (one of my Mother's favorite expressions) rarely do I draw on a daily basis, so I admit resorting to spit to get my pen to go. Usually it works! Too lazy am I to get out the special cleaning fluid, to take the delicate innards of the point apart and actually soak it all. Good thing my father could not agree to the name my Mother wished for me: Patience. I would have lived a very mismatched life.
I probably have at least nine of these pens "going" at this moment. Or not going, I should say. Except for one and it's giving me attitude. I managed to get the one and only going this morning and spent some quality (notice I did not say happy) time drawing. Happy did come while inking in, and happier yet when it was time for the glitter.
After so many years of drawing with these pens I must admit, nothing else out there compares. Luckily the best art supply store in the world is in my neighborhood, tempting me not only with all things color but with brand new black and white Rapidographs, no unclogging required in case the spit fails me. And now, it is time for a bike ride, lest I go the way of an unexercised pen!


No comments:
Post a Comment