Thursday, May 19, 2011

Creating lightness of being.

That magical feeling when all is right with the world and we can dance on clouds can be at best, elusive. For me, it takes more than a new dress or hairdo, more than a bike ride or time with a good book.It takes being inspired; a whole other topic, that little edgy feeling that comes with a lack of confidence and making something greatly outshining the sum of its parts, with my own two hands. Awake this morning at 5:30 am, the time had come. The time to descent to the kitchen, don a clean white apron, combine the freshest and best ingredients and create something sublime.I can do this, day in and day out. Go through the motions, measure, sift and mix. I can walk away from perfection without feeling the least bit satisfied or one iota happier than when I began.
But today I confirmed a truth about myself, I am only truly delighted, making something for the first time, and what ever it is, the more incongruous the better. Be it edible, wearable or wall worthy my mind has to take a left where someone else has to go straight.
I have been looking for the answer to this puzzle for years, assuming that walking on air happened when it happened. Turns out we have the power to create more than just the tangible. Maryland's Eastern Shore strawberry jam with a raspberry balsamic vinegar reduction and ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive