I can not remember.
I can not remember turning twenty-five. I have been trying, for the past week and it is just a blank. Twenty-five is a monumental birthday. How could I not remember?
I remember turning ten, I remember the pool party and my grandfather telling me now that I had hit "the double digits" I was really grown up. Yes, I was so grown up I couldn't even figure out what he meant!
I recall Sweet Sixteen, who can forget that? Sweet Sixteens in our family are heralded in with a charm bracelet. My bracelet of hefty links and one flat disk was a symbol of growing up. Before that jewelery was pretty much forbidden. I took my bracelet, the next day to the jewelers to have the disk engraved. Alone. I picked script Sweet Sixteen for one side, and, Love, Daddy, Mother, Micheal, Jondi and Stedi for the other side. A charm bracelet tells a long story, I am going to save that one for later.
I remember turning twenty-one. My good friend's birthday was three days later and our families celebrated together. Her older brother, who I had, had a crush on as a pre-teen played footsie with me under the dining table all night long, I loved turning twenty-one.
Twenty-two? My boyfriend then, husband now, orchestrated an everything pink lobster dinner party for me. Pink Squirrels, pink tablecloth, pink lobsters, pink cake. Pink sweetness.
I guess after that things start to get fuzzy, I remember lots of childrens birthdays, but not my own. Well, maybe thirty, I am not sure, was that the year of his grandmother's ring? The diamond I have worn every single day since? Who would know, it was August, in Maryland; and my son was born 37 days later.
Fifty was an unforgettable extravaganza. Family. Little island, big lobsters. But 25? I will keep thinking and perhaps turn up a photo to jog my memory. In the meantime, I can SHOW you what twenty-five looks like:
Lovliness, grace, hope, fortitude, freshness, calm, resolute, humble, sparkling, artistic, patient. As I have said here before, I have an Elizabeth. She is all these things and so much more. And she is twenty-five.


4 comments:
p.s. I am only 32 and can barely remember 25...but I think, possibly, it was the year of the mini-party. Small apartment, small snacks, lots of people. Rose made a million mini tamales by hand... a labor of love! We had lots of Coronitas and I made mini bubble teas.
Wait, that was supposed to be my second comment. My first comment was supposed to say "...don't forget "beauty"! Elizabeth, you are stunning every possible way. Happy Birthday! xoxo"
What is the point of blogger telling the world I removed my own comment! Anyway, there was a misspelling, so here I go again: MKC was that the party you decided the roof of your tiny third floor apartment was a perfect patio??? "Shiver me timbers!!"
Post a Comment