Does she know
I have had this book on my night table every day of the seventeen years since she gave it to me?
That it brings me great comfort? That the message is so reflective of the givers heart I feel her presence? That I know it by heart? Or that, when I do not know where to turn, I turn the pages of this book?
A book that feels like an embrace. An empathetic ear and a soothing voice. A book that can sooth the ruffles of the day and encourage the sleep of a baby.
She gave me this cup and saucer for my birthday. Three perfect roses in the same delicious shade of peach as the tiger. She knew I would love it. I can hardly wait for the roses to fade to begin using this cup for my morning coffee. It will remind me of my strength within, and that resoluteness combined with gentleness carries me forward. And it will remind me of her and that will make me happy.
When I was young and trading gifts back and forth with school friends I received a little book called, A Friend is Someone who Like You. Sweet thought, sweet book, here's the rub: You have to do a lot more than like me to be my friend. I like the mailman, I like my trainer, I like the dog across the street, but they are not my friends. Friends are precious.
At this place in my life, being understood, accepted and loved unconditionally comes with friendship. The work has been done, the time and caring invested, this is the time to reap the benefits of knowing there is someone out there who will come if needed. Someone who always knows the right thing to say which allows me the freedom to say it all. The one person I could say to, "It is just so sad." And I heard right back with her next breath, "You are right, sad is the word, this is very sad."
There was no, "Now let's be positive here, you gotta fight, your gonna be okay!" There was none of that dodgy hype, a true friend feels your pain and has the courage share the hit.
Sunlit mornings that flood your mind with beautiful possibilities.
Friend, you have given me much. Tangible things in every room in my house. See? I do not have to put everything in the living room anymore. You have shared your eye for beauty, and in doing so, opened mine.
ps, about that lunch date, I choose Harold's. I can hear your laughter. Best Birthday Wishes to you, for happiness always.


No comments:
Post a Comment