Befuddled
I love grape hyacinths. My most favorite are the white ones, but they seem to be practically extinct.
Gazing at this basketful of blossoms this morning while having tea and toast Spring took me for a spin.
Windows open wide, soft fresh air.
Tiny baby greens dressed with a delicate vinaigrette.
The scent of white lilacs. Bringing me back to my childhood in Connecticut where lilacs bordered property as far as I could see. Where later, lilacs were gathered and delivered to the florist who made the bouquet I carried as a bride.
"White silver bells upon a slender stalk, lily of the valley deck my garden walk. Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring? That will happen only when the fairies sing." I love that little song.
Lilies of the valley are my all time favorite flower. My favorite scene in "you've Got Mail"? When he buys her the bunches of lily of the valley at a little street market. I grew out of it being my favorite perfume in my teens when Heaven Scent, Blue Grass and Shalimar seemed much more sophisticated. 'Till then I was down right dangerous with my 88 cent solid stick cologne!
I know for a fact lily of the valley travels well. A fresh bunch, picked in the morning, wrapped in damp cotton and placed in an empty coffee can will reach a young girl away at school and smell like home. They traveled all the way from Holland to be attached to my wedding veil.
Some of the little paths in our yard are covered with plump green moss. Boy, does that feel good to bare feet.
Sheets on the line, soaking up the sunshine.
BUT!!!
I have not worn my boots once. ALL Winter!
No cocoa, no icicles, no fairy ice and no snow banks.
A few light dustings does not satisfy my New England soul. Give me a blizzard. Give me ice on the creeks.
Daisy, our shepherd/husky, wants to romp in snow up to her pantaloons. She told me so just yesterday. I didn't get the winter I need but I do so hope spring is here. Befuddled.



No comments:
Post a Comment